The expert panel also evaluates whether each project makes sense in the context of the total structural development within the health system.
Expert panel chairman and members:
- Erik Juhl, Assistant Professor, CBS, MD is chairman of the expert panel
- Bo Brismar, Head Physician of Stockholm County Council
- Ragnhild Aslaksen, Chief Architect for Helsebygg Midt-Norge
- Kjeld Møller Pedersen, Professor of Health Economics and Policy at the University of Southern Denmark
- Hans Kirk, former Executive Vice President of Danfoss
The expert panel's evaluation criteria
The expert panel evaluates the region's hospital plans and individual construction projects.
The regions' hospital plans are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Pooling functions and specialty areas into fewer units
- Following the recommendations of the Danish Health and Medicines Authority in the area of acute health-care
- Pre-hospital care
- Integration with other regions
The expert panel evaluates the individual construction projects based on the following criteria:
- The role of the project within the new hospital structure, both regionally and within the country as a whole
- Possible alternatives
- Need projection, capacity utilisation, space requirements and budget
- Improvements to productivity and operations
The allocation of funds – the 'screening processes' – have been divided into two phases, such that funds were released for 11 projects in phase 1 (November 2008) and a further five projects in phase 2 (November 2010). The expert panel has thus recommended interim approval for a total of 16 regional construction projects, with a total value of DKK 41.4 billion (2009 prices).